Close your electronics, pause and take a deep breath.
- Take out your scented object of choosing and inhale deeply and exhale.
- Close your eyes and reflect on something that went well for you in your work or parenting (e.g., in the morning: packed a nice lunch, successfully de-escalated a conflict; or at the end of a work day: accomplished a difficult task, led a successful meeting, etc.). Don’t dwell on what didn’t go right!
- Take a few breaths and allow yourself space to be present, letting go of your responsibilities as worker/parent, just being.
- Then take a breath and offer gratitude for your own abilities, for your support systems (teachers, partners, family, friends, colleagues, etc.), and for something larger (the divine, the earth, etc.).
You might recite:In this moment,I lay down my burdens,
thankful for all that helps me carry them each day.Now I am more ready to lift up
and be lifted up by what comes next.
- Conclude by inhaling your scented object again (if it’s a cup of coffee or tea, take a sip; if it’s hand cream, put it on and smell it, etc.) and exhaling deeply before you move on to the next part of your day.